The Gold Humanism Honor Society is seeking a Program Director.
Background: The Arnold P. Gold Foundation has the ambitious mission of humanizing healthcare by restoring the balance between cutting edge medical science and compassionate, patient-centered care. The Foundation is in a period of growth and is seeking a highly motivated professional to manage and direct the Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS), one of its signature programs.
The GHHS is a medical honor society with over 130 chapters organized at the major academic medical centers in the US and Canada. It is one of only two honor societies included on the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). GHHS recognizes those individuals who, in the eyes of their peers, are exemplars of humanistic patient care. GHHS chapters bring members together to sustain their own humanism and to inspire and nurture empathy in others. The GHHS has a strong, active executive organizing committee, the Advisory Council, which consists of faculty, administrators, residents, and students drawn from institutions that are members of the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Summary: The Program Director has strategic and organizational responsibility for the honor society, working in close collaboration with the GHHS Advisory Council. Reporting to the SVP/Chief Program Officer and working closely with the External Affairs Department on fundraising and public relations, the incumbent will be the primary contact from the Foundation to the 138 chapters and 23,000 members of GHHS. He/she will be responsible for continuing to grow the membership, creating a sustainable model of a dues paying membership, and implementing the APGF mission and 5 year strategic plan. He/she will also be the primary liaison with the GHHS Advisory Council and its officers in order to support the Council in its work.
The Program Director will supervise a team of two associates who, together, will cultivate chapter growth and build relationships with collaborative partners. Also the Program Director will work with the strategic planning team on building GHHS into an active national community of caring professionals.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A commitment to the core mission and values of the Arnold P. Gold Foundation to promote empathetic, scientifically excellent, patient-centered care;
- Strong management, organizational and consensus-building skills;
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with multiple constituencies, including the Foundation leadership, the GHHS Advisory Council, medical school deans, hospital administrators, chapter advisors, and the membership;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills and public speaking experience;
- Ability to strategize and use the power of social media to galvanize a large membership organization;
- Ability to cultivate partnerships and collaborative projects with others to help expand the reach of GHHS and support GHHS members;
- Experience with budget preparation and fiscal management;
- Ability to leverage key meetings and networks in the humanism field as a representative of APGF to advance the mission of the foundation and advocate for humanistic health care;
- Ability to facilitate cross collaboration and programing among other APGF programs;
- At least 5 years of experience in program management preferably in medical education, higher education or a healthcare nonprofit.
- Experience with a membership-based organization
- Graduate-level degree or equivalent work experience in relevant field.
- Ability to navigate the academic medicine world and a deep understanding of challenges facing medical education.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full time position, based at the Englewood Cliffs (NJ) headquarters of the Foundation. The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include health and dental coverage.
To Apply (no phone calls please): Email resume & cover letter with Director of GHHS in subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org .