The Foundation has established humanism awards for healthcare practitioners, which are awarded through specialty societies. The purpose of these awards is to identify and honor practicing professionals who best demonstrate the ideals of compassionate and respectful care for a patient’s well-being.
Practicing healthcare practitioners who have been selected by his/her specialty society based on the following criteria:
- demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care
- displays competence in scientific endeavors
- shows respect for patients, families and co-workers
- demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds
- displays effective, empathetic communication and listening skills
- understands a patient’s need for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and makes an effort to ensure patient comprehension
- understands and shows respect for the patient’s viewpoint
- is sensitive to the patient’s psychological well-being and identifies emotional concerns of patients and family members
- engenders trust and confidence
How to Apply
Any national specialty society may submit a proposal to the Gold Foundation to participate in the Humanism in Healthcare Awards. It is the intention of the Gold Foundation to eventually offer these awards at every specialty society on an annual basis. If your specialty society would like to participate, please follow these instructions.
Provide a brief description of the specialty society, including:
- Number of members
- A list of current awards presented to members (please provide detail on any awards that cover themes similar to those proposed in the Gold Foundation Humanism in Healthcare Awards)
- Date of annual meeting
Describe the awards process including a time schedule that your society will use to solicit nominations, select the winner, present the award, publicize the winner and whether you intend to have the winner of this award present during the annual meeting (do not exceed 2 pages).
Provide letter of support from specialty society leadership stating intention to participate in the Gold Foundation Humanism in Healthcare Award program and to present the award at the society’s annual meeting.
Submit proposals electronically using our online application.
If your specialty society would like to participate in this program, please contact Ian Finisterre (email@example.com) with any questions.
2017 Recipients of the Arnold P. Gold Humanism in Healthcare Award presented at:
American Academy of Dermatology
Pearl E. Grimes, MD
American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery
Mark E. Zafereo, MD
American Academy of Pediatrics
Bernard Dreyer, MD
American Osteopathic College of Anesthesiologists
Ashley M. Classen, DO, FAOCA
American Society of Breast Surgeons
Lisa Tolnitch, MD
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Harvey Sugerman, MD
American Society for Reproductive Medicine
Gilbert Mottla, MD
Child Neurology Society
David Coulter, MD
Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Angela Mills, MD
Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
Paul Severson, MD
Society of teachers of Family Medicine
Ronald M. Epstein, MD