Below are details about how to participate in the Picker Gold Challenge Grant Program.
Faculty members from any graduate medical education program accredited by ACGME or one of the Canadian certification colleges (CFPC or RCPSC) are eligible to apply to the Picker Gold Challenge Grant Program.
Selection Criteria and Process
The application process involves two stages. Applicants will first submit a Letter of Intent, and those selected will be invited to submit a full proposal for consideration. Letters of Intent will be reviewed by Gold Foundation staff. Proposals will be reviewed by the Gold Foundation and outside experts to ensure eligibility and completeness. Complete applications for the Picker Gold Challenge Grant will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- The extent to which the project/interventions are innovative and will advance patient-centeredness and humanism in graduate medical education residency programs and institutions that sponsor these programs.
- The relevance and significance of the proposal to the purpose and goals of the Arnold P. Gold Foundation, Picker Principles of Patient-Centered Care, and ACGME competencies. We have identified select ACGME core competencies for residency programs that best represent the inclusion of patient-centered care in residency training – there should also be alignment with at least one of these competencies.
- The feasibility of the research/project design and methodology, and the adequacy of the budget, timetable and other key resources.
- The quality of the evaluation and assessment process and the projected impact of the project.
- The potential that the research/project could be replicated in and disseminated to other residency programs/sites.
- The qualifications of the principal investigator and primary project staff.
- The extent to which project specifies an Always Event.
The Gold Foundation champions humanism in healthcare, which we define as compassionate, collaborative, and scientifically excellent care. Grantees are expected to reflect these values in daily practice and to continuously strive to be exemplars of humanism in healthcare.
Download the full guidelines about the Letter of Intent and full proposal, including the competencies and criteria.
Please note that any Letter of Intent or proposal that does not contain ALL of the required elements or any of the required documents will be considered incomplete.
How and When to Apply
The process for the 2021-23 Picker Gold Challenge Grants for Residency Training is now closed.