The Hope Babette Tang Humanism in Healthcare Essay Contest asks medical and nursing students to engage in a reflective writing exercise that illustrates an experience where they or a team member worked to ensure that humanism was at the core of care.
For the 1999 contest, medical students were asked to write an essay on one of the following themes:
- Who is the “good doctor”?
- What do you think are the barriers to humanism in medicine today?
1999 Essay Contest Winners
Second Place: Renee Hsia, Harvard Medical School
Third Place: Erin Parrish, East Carolina University School of Medicine
- Mark Foley, Midwestern University, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Justin Moore, University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Suzanne Cullinane, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Robert Fuller, University of Illinois, Urbana
- S. Yousuf Zafar, Medical College of Ohio
- Margi L. Johnson, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kani Ilangovan, University of Illinois, Chicago
- Anita N. Ramsetty, University of Florida
- Jason Ryan, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
- Patricia Chu, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine